Marine aquariums with soft corals, stone corals, snails or calcareous algae need regular additives of calcium and bicarbonate ions. In 1989, TUNZE® Aquarientechnik was the first manufacturer to build a CO2 controlled calcium reactor. A pump is used to pass the water enriched with carbon dioxide through the hardness granulate. The carbon dioxide reacts with water to produce carbon dioxide gas and dissolves the calcium carbonate. The hardened water leaves the reactor through a control valve.
Today’s generation of automatic calcium reactors combine high efficiency and a compact size, consisting of a reactor with pump and the Comline housing. Calcium Automat 3170 needs no additional supply pump, and is operational with a minimum water level of 60 mm (2.3 in.). It is suitable for operation in the aquarium as well as in a cabinet filter. The set-up:
- Transparent reactor housing with pump and water distribution in one unit.
- Granulate content: 1,200 ml (42.2 fl. oz.).
- Comline housing for attachment and light protection for direct operation in the aquarium.
- Dissolution of the CO2 in the pump housing and recirculation of the undissolved gases permit an especially economical CO2 consumption.
- Easy refill of the granulate by a screw cover.
- Adjustment of the drip rate by means of a precise control valve.
- Can be used as a “stand-alone” solution.
- Silent operation.
For complete operational safety, we recommend the use of a CO2 controller 7074/2 fitted with a pH meter and CO2 valve. In this case the pH meter will control the infeed of CO2 in accordance with the setpoint value entered. The danger of excessively low pH values during the night is averted.
Delivery condition: Ready for mounting with hardness granulate, bubble counter, pump and holding device similar to Comline filter holder.
For aquariums from 200 to 1,000 l
(52.8 to 264 USgal.) of salt water.
Energy consumption: 8 W.
Voltage / frequency: 230V/50Hz
Cable length: 2 m (78.7 in.).
Immersion depth: approx. 60 to 280 mm (2.3 to 11.0 in.).
Filling volume: 1,200 ml (40.5 fl.oz.).
Delivery: up to 1.9 l/h (0.5 USgal./h).
Dimensions: L 113 x W 113 x H 300 mm (L 4.4 x W 4.4 x H 11.8 in.).
Magnet holder up to a glass thickness of 12 mm (.47 in.).